Re: Modularity and needed changes on CVE handling side?

On Thu 01 Jun 2017 11:45:07 AM CEST Tomas Hoger wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2017 11:42:49 -0000 Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
>
>> > On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Stanislav Ochotnicky
>> > <sochotnicky(a)redhat.com&gt; wrote:
>> >
>> > Is it possible to fix a module in isolation?  Or would the fix have to
>> > be applied to its constituent RPMs?
>>
>> Right now the fix would have to first go into the rpms which would be
>> normally shipped through Bodhi. Idea long term seems to be that
>> Fedora would be completely modular so there wouldn't be traditional
>> rpms shipped if they are not part of a module.
>
> I still agree with Florian here - it's reasonable to track affected
> components at their source (srpm / dist-git branch).  Automation needs
> to take care of knowing which modules bundle which components, and
> hence figuring out which modules need rebuild if some change is applied
> to the source.

Sounds good. So basically the idea is - each component that goes into
modules has to have a component in bugzilla. Even if component is in
multiple modules it will only have single component in bugzilla.

I do wonder how this will work with arbitrary branches work - where
dist-git would likely have separate branches for openssl-1.0 and
openssl-1.1 in your example.

> Note that I do not think this problem is specific to security fixes -
> it's the same problem for bug fixes.  I also had an impression the
> automation part was on the list of things that are required for
> modularity to happen.

Sure the rebuilding part itself will be handled by freshmaker project -
it's being worked on right now. But we don't have a good grasp of
how exactly CVE tracking will differ from current world (if it will at all).

>> Generally - don't expect there will be a "single rpm with fix for
>> CVE-1234 in F27" but rather "several rpms - each with different NVR
>> based on which module they were part of for given CVE fix. They
>> could/would all still likely be built from the same dist-git branch -
>> but due to module macros end with with different release tags.
>
> As noted above, that's something automation needs to keep track of.
> Asking folks to handle that manually is unreasonable.

I am not asking that anyone does this manually. I am asking what will
break when the mapping is no longer: one component/bug -> one shipped
build but it will be (based on what you said above around having single
component in bz): one component/bug-> multiple modules with multiple
component NVRs for the same source rpm

I bet there are custom things you have that will be affected. We want to
help you understanding/preparing for the changes.

> What will require a change is tracking of multiple versions of a
> component in one Fedora version.  E.g. assume that F2x will have 2
> versions of openssl - openssl-1.0.2 and openssl-1.1.0.  Do we already
> have a concrete information on how that's going to be handled in
> various systems (BZ, dist-git, ...)?

Partially - basically if you can review this change proposal and provide
feedback about what we forgot about that might help:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/SYPV7H3WHXM33B4HZATNR7OXBSLQJATY/

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky@xxxxxxxxxx>
Software Engineer, PnT DevOps - Brno

PGP: F434 2286 27DC 7D9B 2B64  0866 BCBD 752E 7B08 7241
Red Hat Inc.                               http://www.redhat.com