Re: Modularity and needed changes on CVE handling side?

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Stanislav Ochotnicky
<sochotnicky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> this is just to make sure things won't come up as a surprise. I am
> assuming there are a few things that might need to be tweaked on your
> end due to incoming Fedora modularity.
>
> I think we'll need help figuring out what all those things are. Initial
> thoughts are:
>  * bugzilla components for modules will need to be created

Is it possible to fix a module in isolation?  Or would the fix have to
be applied to its constituent RPMs?

>  * when CVE hits, module components with the issue should get a bug as
>    well. Module components containing old rpms need to be rebuilt - I
>    assume we'd want to tweak BZ handling scripts that you use to make
>    sure it's all cross linked?

I'm not sure if that's feasible due to the number of modules and RPMs
they contain.

I would expect that modules are like YUM repositories in the sense
that they are rebuilt automatically.  Some tracking tool will be
required to flag outstanding builds and known-vulnerable modules (due
to their RPM contents).  I think the only way to tackle this is to
track, in a machine-readable fashion, the set of vulnerable package
versions, similar to what Debian does:

  https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/

Thanks,
Florian