Re: rngd read errors at boot time

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 8:37 PM, Brandon Vincent (Student)
<Brandon.Vincent@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Reindl,
>
> I would have to disagree with you. I get the exact issues in the bug report on a Sandy Bridge machine without a HRNG (no rdrand extension).

Yes, the bug report (I filed it), is based on testing this on a 2011
Macbook Pro which has Sandy Bridge Core i7, and also in Virtual Box on
OS X on the same laptop. So it's simply not correct that rngd will
fail to startup. It starts up and complains quite a bit before giving
up, but it's been this way since at least Fedora 21, it's been pretty
noisy since forever.

> A default install of Fedora 22 has the rngd service enabled and it actively searches for /dev/hwrng.
>
> This is obviously bad error handling and not a security issue.

Thanks. That was really my only concern. The noise is a bit ugly and
distracting, but the good thing is that it's otherwise benign.

--
Chris Murphy