Re: Crypto guidelines for Fedora

On Tue, 1 Apr 2014, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:

This is wrong as you present it. You cannot substitute forward secrecy
as a replacement for good parameters.

I did not intend to say anything like that and I am sorry if my choice of words was unfortunate enough to make such impression.

Much of the discussion dealt with RSA keys and their lengths. My point was that at a certain point it would become more efficient to invest man-hours and CPU cycles into stronger ephemeral DH (ECDH if possible) rather than into stronger server RSA keys.

A 512-bit DHE key exchange provides forward secrecy but does not provide secrecy.

This is an interesting example of the difference between "dictum simpliciter" and "dictum secundum quid". :)