Re: Crypto guidelines for Fedora

On Mon, 2014-03-31 at 22:34 +0200, Pavel Kankovsky wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2014, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
>
> > I don't understand what do you mean using SSH and TLS for 10 or more
> > years, but we have an expectation of secrecy of data for 10 or more
> > years. When you do a TLS or SSH session you don't expect that your
> > transferred data will be leaked within a few months or a year later.
>
> Let me repeat one of my footnotes:
> (***) If long-term secrecy is desired for data transmitted using a
> transport protocol (TLS, SSH), one should rely on perfect forward secrecy
> provided by the use of ephemeral (EC)DH keys rather than on a server
> private key staying confidential for a long time (not broken and not
> leaked or stolen).  Unfortunately, the support of ephemeral DH in many
> programs is, ahem, questionable...

This is wrong as you present it. You cannot substitute forward secrecy
as a replacement for good parameters. A 512-bit DHE key exchange
provides forward secrecy but does not provide secrecy. I can break it
and decrypt all data. In all cases you need parameters that reflect the
security level required, whether in forward or non-forward secrecy.

regards,
Nikos