Re: btrfs snapshots, rollbacks

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 07:16:34PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:

> isn't mounted by default. The other question is whether there's a
> meaningful distinction between persistently mounting this snapshots
> subvolume, or only mounting it on demand when snapshots are about to
> be taken? And then when it's mounted, should the mount option be
> noexec or nosuid.

If old snapshots are mounted, there are several possible security
implications:

An old snapshot might contain

- A world-readable confidential files thats permissions were fixed after
  creating the snapshot, e.g. /etc/pki/tls/private/foo.key

- A confidential file with too many ACLs that were fixed after creating
  the snapshot

- A confidential file with the bad selinux context allowing to be read
  by an exploited daemon

- A vulnerable suid binary

- A vulnerable binary with capabilities

- An executable with the wrong selinux context allowing an exploited
  daemon to execute a binary that is not executable on the current
  system

- A device file with bad permissions/ACL/selinux context

Therefore I guess it needs to be made sure that no unprivileged process
can access the contents of a mounted snapshot. Maybe the root directory
can be protected with strict permissions/ACLs and a selinux context that
does not allow anything else to access the contents.

Regards
Till