Re: Experiment with sagemath and Polybori needs to be built

2012/4/25 Paulo César Pereira de Andrade
<paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade@xxxxxxxxx>:
>  I think this is the major showstopper for now.
>
>  Jerry, do you think it is reasonably to downngrade and use
> linbox 1.1.6? Patching should be possible, but not much
> trivial, quick guess would be to use mpz interfaces for the
> apparently now deprecated or available elsewhere or other
> interfaces, integer matrix operations.

Linbox was updated from 1.1.6 to 1.1.7 before I became involved with
it.  Judging by the changelog, though, the problem is that 1.1.6
failed to build due to requiring an old version of givaro and 1.1.7
fixed the build problem:  I became involved when the same problem
occurred; givaro was updated, and then linbox 1.1.7 failed to build.
I contacted upstream about the problem, and they suggested moving to
linbox 1.2.1, which did solve it.  The move to linbox 1.2.2 was
coordinated with another new release of givaro.

In short, moving backwards in linbox versions will require also moving
backwards in givaro versions.

>  Sorry for more fedora newbie questions, but how do I query
> what requires a package? E.g. in Mandriva I can use
>
> urpmq --whatrequires foobar
>
> asking it to know what, if anything requires linbox.

repoquery --whatrequires foobar

Or, to find the total set of affected packages:

repoquery --whatrequires --recursive foobar

The repoquery command is provided by the yum-utils package.

>  sage 5.0 will also use linbox 1.1.6 from what I understand, or at
> least should be what is used in alpha builds.

Hmmm, that puts us in a difficult position.  Fedora is all about being
on the cutting edge, so moving backwards in versions is ... painful.
What might be reasonable is to make new packages, linbox11 and
givaro32, containing linbox 1.1.6 and givaro 3.2.15, respectively, for
the use of sage.  That way we can keep the newer versions around for
anybody who might be using them, but still support sage.  What do you
think?
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/