[Fedora Robotics] Re: ROS packages

Thanks for the feedback!

On 08/16/2017 10:29 PM, Tom Callaway wrote:
* I do think that making -devel packages might be useful, but if you can
make the case as to why they aren't useful (as opposed to "harder to
script"), you can probably get an exception for ROS packages.

My first thought was that in most use cases, people would use those ROS packages as base to build their own software on top of it, which would always require the devel package anyway. But on second thought, that's only for some of the packages, and people may want to just run ROS without a lot of custom software, so having separate devel packages is probably useful, I just haven't started working on the split.

* I don't think you want ROS libs in the ld cache, that seems like a
recipe for disaster. You also probably want to disable the autoprovides
generation and instead do something like:

Provides: ros(library.so)

or

Provides: ros-kinetic(library.so)

That seems like a good idea, although I would have liked to use more of RPM's implicit dependency management instead of essentially re-adding all those Provides manually. Do you have an idea how we could add those Provides automatically, or at least in a scripted way without looking at the resulting packages first? So far I can generate all SPEC files without looking into the generated RPMs, (with the exceptions that have custom configs and/or templates) it would be nice if we could keep it that way.

* The unbundling is going to suck, except in the rare cases where the
bundled code is unmodified. Thankfully, you should be able to use the
bundled code as long as you follow the Fedora Packaging Guidelines
around that: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bundled_Libraries

Yes, that's what I was aiming for. Unbundling would be ideal, but probably not feasible. But this is also a step that has to be done separately for each package, so far I've been trying to avoid this whenever possible.

Kind regards,
Till