Re: Catkin.. *sigh*

On 07/24/2013 10:06 AM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
That'd be great. :)

See [1].  I know catkin builds, and I'll see if I can get
Maybe it's time to start tracking groovy or hydro in a fedorapeople
repo? That way, we don't pollute the official fedora repos with our
"experiments"? It'll also make it clear that any files in the
fedorapeople repo are completely in alpha state and may or may not work
with official fedora repos?

I kinda started doing that at one point at [2]. I did start tracking fuerte in a copr, and managed to keep the packages so that they don't interfere with the core packages [3]. I started generating groovy packages as well, but never got as far as setting up a copr.

I like coprs more than repos.fp.o because they handle doing all of the mock builds support chain builds by feeding previously buildt packages into the next build in the chain. I think we should file a bug to see if we can get multiple people access to kick off builds, and then figure out a common space to upload the SRPMs to build so that more than one person can work on it.

Since posting, I've been reading on bloom, catkin and catkin_pkg.
catkin_pkg is supposed to be a stand alone catkin python API and I
expected catkin's methods available there to let me get info from the
package.xml files. Doesn't seem to be the case though. (I was trying to
see if I can find enough API to hack a packagexml2spec script since the
package.xml file should contain all the dep info we need (or so I
think)). Bloom is slightly more complex since it's really *tightly*
integrated with git. Not sure how well it'll fit with just generating
rpms, in mock etc. I'm still looking for docs on deploying bloom and
using it to generate anything myself to get a better hang of how it
works.

There's so much random documentation that I kinda keep getting confused.
Lately, I found this which makes it feel like we can build each package
from source manually:

http://ros.org/doc/api/catkin/html/adv_user_guide/underlay.html

I think building each package manually isn't too hard, they're all basically cmake projects. It'd be really nice to have something like bloom handle the annoying details of actually generating a spec (especially for the case where it's just generating one monster package to drop in /opt like how the ROS debs currently work). It would be much harder to get a tool like bloom to create proper -devel subpackages, give each stack its own package, etc., and there's enough FHS issues with default ROS packages that they all pretty much need manual intervention before being suitable for Fedora proper.

Rich

[1] http://rmattes.fedorapeople.org/groovypackages/catkin/
[2] http://rmattes.fedorapeople.org/ros-groovy/
[3] http://rmattes.fedorapeople.org/ros-fuerte/SRPMS/