Re: Catkin.. *sigh*

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 4:04 AM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

So I tried to build rpms for groovy by downloading the entire source at
once and letting catkin make it all, as documented here[1]. It doesn't
work. I'm not surprised. A few things:

Are you targeting /usr or /opt as your installation point?

1. The --install-space /opt/... suggestion won't work with mock, since
catkin uses this in all the setup scripts. So, the setup.sh files have
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT in them. I'm considering filing a bug requesting them to
provide a different --root option (like every other build system does!)

This link will only work when building manually with root permissions.
It isn't going to work for a system wide installation, and it certainly
cannot be converted to a spec file.

I did at one point get some of the groovy packages spec-ified and built as RPMs installing to /usr, including catkin.  I will try to dig up the specs and upload them to my fedorapeople account.  I don't remember many of the details off the top of my head, but I will let you know when I reacquaint myself with that effort.

2. Seeing that this method isn't going to work, I dug up on catkin a
little more and found that one can actually bootstrap it all from
source[2][3]. I'll give this a try today and tomorrow and see if I can
"spec-ify" it.

The catkin package in Fedora appears to be missing some stuff though:
like the catkin_init_workspace script. Rich, is this a matter of just
updating the Fedora catkin package? Should I file a bug? We're carrying
0.4x and the latest seems to be 0.5+

The version of catkin does seem to be tied to the ROS release, at least for fuerte and groovy.  So yes, we will need to update to catkin 0.5 when we want to shift to groovy.  My plan was to do this for f20 and leave f19 and f18 on fuerte, and then put hydro on f21 after it's had a little while to stabilize.

I guess I was holding off on upgrading f20 until all of the fuerte base packages are done, but we can start working on it on the side without pushing any builds.

I'll see if I can get some help on the build-sys SIG about extending
bloom to spew rpms. I think this needs to be dealt with once and for
all.

Sounds good.  I've been following that list for a little while, I'll chip in where I can.

Rich