Re: [Fedora Robotics] ROS Packaging

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Brennan Ashton <bashton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As was brought up again on the Fedora Packaging list, ROS is still not
part of Fedora due to some serious build structure issues.

This is certainly not a one man packaging job, so I was interested in
seeing if there are others interested in joining in?  I know last time
I built it on Fedora even just building not following the Fedora
guidelines I had to apply various patches to deal with changes in
boost.

Thanks,
Brennan Ashton

I'm interested in helping to get ROS into Fedora, but I think it's going to be difficult to get it to conform to the FHS and the Fedora packaging guidelines.  Right now it looks like the Ubuntu packages for ROS are dumping everything into /opt, which isn't going to fly for packages included in Fedora's repositories.  The other option is collaborating with WG and letting them host their own packages with everything in /opt, but that puts a large burden on them for making sure all of the builds are up to date as the dependencies in Fedora change.

Another other issue is that there are no tarball releases.  All of the source packages live in svn, so we'd be perpetually taking svn snapshots as our package source.  It looks like there are version numbers being tagged so maybe this is a tractable problem.

I think the biggest issue is the FHS stuff, if we can resolve that then there's a clear way forward for packaging.  If I am way off base or missing something please discuss.

Rich