Re: [Fedora Robotics] Robotics SIG update

Hi Mauricio and all.

I had a brief look. Seems you have done some nice work on the project.
At the moment though I think it is not a viable solution for the LiveCD
for the following reasons.

The software is written in C# which is a problem, especially if you want
to put it on a LiveCD, because the environment is a pretty big beast and
it adds quite some packages. There is a reason why it has been removed
from the Desktop LiveCD.

We have software available which has been developed, used and tested for
years. In particular Player/Stage are mature and widely used and have
been incorporated or connected to many projects. Fawkes has been around
for four years and has been used and hardened at various RoboCup events
and demos in real life scenarios, and it has been released. And all of
these are available today. An Alpha level software is not a good start
for a teaser project that should attract people.

I don't see any kind of scripting interface. Something like this is
necessary to write programs on-the-fly and go with the game idea,
ideally with some behavior description facilities. We don't want to bore
the user watching the compiler. In general writing behavior in
non-scripting languages is tedious, to say the least.

I don't want to discourage you. I think you should go forward, release
it and package it, even if it is not used for the LiveCD. It might also
be worthwhile to think about providing an interface to the "outside"
world to connect with other frameworks out there. Maybe the 3D
environment could be connected to Fawkes as a simulation environment or
display?

Regards from Pittsburgh,
	Tim

--