Re: [Fedora Robotics] URG range finder laser

Hello Mauricio.

You might want to give Fawkes (http://www.fawkesrobotics.org) a try. It
has a plugin to gather laser data from a Hokuyo URG and visualize it
with a GUI (http://www.fawkesrobotics.org/gallery/screenshots/page2/),
which can even run on Maemo 5 on a N900 :-)

I have built RPMs, but I have to fix a few issues before I push them for
review, but they should be good enough for you to try out. Get
http://fedorapeople.org/~timn/robotics/fawkes-0.4-1.fc13.src.rpm and
rebuild it (I can provide x86_64 builds if you don't know how to do that).

Then install fawkes, fawkes-plugin-laser, and fawkes-guis packages. Edit
/etc/cfg/default.sql and set the following values:
/hardware/laser/urg/active		bool	1
/hardware/laser/lase_edl/main_sensor	bool	0
/hardware/laser/urg/main_sensor		bool	1
I think you can figure out the syntax. You can also run Fawkes and use
the configuration GUI but editing the file is easier for the start. We
have to improve here.
Plugin the laser to a USB port and make sure the urg package is
installed (should be a dep of the laser plugin package).

Run fawkes on a console (-p parameter to load the laser module):
fawkes -p laser

Then start the GUI by calling either lasergui in another console or from
the Application menu via Education -> Fawkes LaserGUI. Click connect and
connect to localhost (if you have mDNS enabled on your machine by
allowing it in the firewall it will appear in the selection box,
otherwise open the extender to manually enter the IP or hostname). You
should then see the laser data in realtime on your screen.

For further study have a look at the laserht plugin. Load while Fawkes
is already running with "ffplugin -l laserht". The parameters are cloned
for close range line detection. The detected line should be visualized
in the GUI right away.

Have fun,
	Tim

--