[Fedora Robotics] URG range finder laser

Hi guys,

I new on the list, my name is Mauricio Henriquez and I have some experience in robotics in linux (redHat and Fedora all the time :-), also I currently have my own robotic framework project called monoBOTICS (http://www.monobotics.ic.uach.cl/), still on alpha 1 stage, but later would be good to have some RPMs for it :-), also more and more HW is added to it often and now I begin to work with my shiny new Hokoyu URG Laser range finder (to later do a c# wrapper to work with it in monoBOTICS)...

The installation of the URG libs with yum is easy and allow me to compile the urg C samples, but you know, they just show you some measures on console, not to shiny :-), so I spend the last 2 days fighting to install the vmon software provided by the Hokoyu company, but sadly the just provide the binaries in .deb packages, I convert the .deb to rpm but at the end the software crash due to some "undefined reference" to a lib version that do not exactly match with the one that Fedora have..so, do you know if is posible to get the vmon source to allow us to provide a proper .rpm for fedora and may be other rpm based distros?

Also after fighting with vmon, I find the UrgViewer (also know it as Urg Widget I think) and the "Quick Robot SDK - qrobotsdk" (which seems like a Qt toolkit for robotics that also include the UrgViewer..). So I start to fight with those ones. Sadly I not an expert on the Qt compilation front (qmake and all that voodo), so the "qrobotsdk" figth end with a "error: SDL.h: No such file or directory" error (I defenitly have all devel SDL paquages)...but my UrgViewer fight ends better and I was able to compile it and running showing me a nice simple Qt GUI with a graphic of the sensor data...

May be someone have more experience with some URG related applications (like the mentioned ones or others) that can be provided as RPMs to easy install and use?

Thanks and take care.

Mauricio Henriquez

begin:vcard
fn:Mauricio Henriquez
n:Henriquez;Mauricio
org;quoted-printable:Universidad Austral de Chile - Sede Puerto Montt;Escuela de Computaci=C3=B3n
adr:;;Los Pinos S/N Balneario de Pelluco;Puerto Montt;Llanquihue;5480000;Chile
email;internet:mauriciohenriquez@xxxxxxx
title:Docente
tel;work:65-487440
tel;fax:65-277156