Re: [Fedora-r-devel-list] R-repo

On 2012-02-29 21:21, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 19:21 +0000, José Matos wrote:
>> After almost two months going on what is the outcome of this project?
> Well the structure is there and a number of rpms available.
> I have started on the update mechanism but I have only got around the
> first round.
> The spec are on github and I have no problem giving the rights to commit
> if people are interested (<hint>, <hint> ;-)).

After June 11th sure, until there I have 18h of classes per week for
undergrads, master and phd students and with a seven months old lovely
daughter there is not much of free time, oh and surely the scouts
work... :-)

My last surge for build R packages for Fedora is due to the academic work.
I have several students doing their master thesis using stochastic
differential equations in several domains and for that I suggested them
to use R packages since R is a language they learn in the course.

One of the packages that is appropriate is the Sim.DiffProc package. For
that package the chain dependency is relatively simple.

So if you do not mind I have several questions regarding this issue.

1) Why is r-repo.org not available for Fedora? Lack of time is a fair
answer. :-)

2) I noticed that you have R-xlsxjars packaged in r-repo, from a quick
glance it looks like it just packages a set of jar files. I am clueless
when it comes to java but are not those some kind of binary files that
could be replaced using dependencies for system libraries? I am aware
that jars can have different purposes but I am asking anyway.

>> Back in September I wanted to package some R libraries and it took
>> some time to get all the packages due to the build requirement of each
>> package, I had to unravel the dependencies while deciding what was
>> necessary to bootstrap the process, and not even speaking about
>> circular references. Clearly a fun project... :-)
> <irony>hm R ? circular dependencies? I think I've heard about that once
> or twice </irony>

Do you have any idea of how R install.packages deals with these cases?

While searching for further information I noticed that the corresponding
effort on the debian side is cran2deb
http://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/?group_id=247

and the active repository is available at http://debian-r.debian.net/

>From the available discussion and from my previous work I know that
there are several issues to be tracked. One of them is the package
license and the other are the external (system libraries) dependencies.
Is this information stored in any central place (database)?

> Pierre

Thank for all your hard work and regards,

--
José Matos