Fedora QA Meeting notes

Hi folks,

Here's a quick summary of the QA meeting. I'll post the raw notes soon
(wiki permitting)

-- Bodhi - New Fedora Updates System --

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WillWoods/Drafts/WhyBodhi
This page attempts to explain why using bodhi is A Good Thing.

Bodhi lives here:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates
You'll need a Fedora Account to log in, I believe.

The updates-testing repo will soon be populated with test packages. We
should test those packages to verify that they work right, and then
leave comments about them on the Bodhi "Testing Updates" page for Fedora
7.

In the near future we should have a "QA Approved" checkbox so we can
show that we have verified a package - this will help rel-eng decide
which packages to push live.

"Verifying" a package, for now, means installing it, making sure it's
not missing dependencies, and making sure that it basically works. You
don't need to run full regression test suites or anything, just verify
that it mostly does what it's supposed to.

If you don't know how to test something, it might be a good idea to find
someone (a QA person or developer or user) who does know about it, and
ask them to test it.

If a package doesn't get touched for a week or so, they'll automatically
get approved and then rel-eng is free to push them at their discretion.

-- Work for F8 --

What should we work on for F8? We need to set our priorities - we've
only got 3 months until the F8 feature freeze.

So far, here's a list of things we want to improve:

- Bugzilla workflow:
  - improving ease of use for users (new frontend)
  - make it easier to find and triage bugs
  - better XMLRPC api docs
    - Note: RH is planning on moving to Bugzilla 3.0 before the end of
the year.

- Automated testing
  - Build a test results server that programs can submit test results to
  - write tests that submit results!
  - start writing more tests
  - start running those tests daily on rawhide and stable systems
  - set up SNAKE lab for installer testing
    - https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/snake

- Crash reporting & Bug submission:
  - Build 'Apport' for Fedora
  - Automatic bug reports with better debugging info
  - Recognize common stack traces to cut down on duplicates
  - Like a bug-buddy that works for all system programs

- Bugzilla RPG / scoring
  - Make triaging bugs more fun
  - Figure out how to score bug closing, test submission, test-plan
writing, etc.
  - Give points and other rewards for various QA activities

I'll post the log in a bit. If there's any questions, let me know. And
check out Bodhi - there's a lot of updates coming down the pipe that we
want to get into F7 as soon as possible!

Thanks,

-w