Re: Summary of previous discussions around FOSCo

On 03/20/2015 11:10 AM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-03-17 at 08:15 +0700, Truong Anh. Tuan wrote:
>> Thanks Christoph for summarizing all up.
> Hi everyone,
>
> I posted this on the trac ticket
> (https://fedorahosted.org/famsco/ticket/373#comment:7) ,but since the
> discussion seems to have moved here, I'm posting here too:
>
> So, the problem, as Matthew states in the ticket description is:
>
> "Meanwhile, the project really lacks coordination between various areas
> of outreach — Ambassadors, Marketing, Design Team (which is responsible
> for branding), and support efforts like Ask Fedora and even
> Documentation and Web. This may also include areas of the new
> Fedora.next Working Groups which touch on these areas — branding,
> marketing, conference attendance in support of a particular product, and
> etc. "
>
> I'm slightly at a loss to see how a new body solves this issue - I've
> seen the activity on the various lists and tracs and it's not really
> clear to me that the goal of FOSCo is to improve the communication
> between teams.
>
> For example, I just saw a ticket on the fosco trac that said "Arrange
> University install-fests" and another that said "Find pilot university
> for Fedora lab deployment" and another that said "FOSS Alternatives
> Resource Page". These really appear to be just normal ambassador team
> tasks, which they've been doing for quite a long time.
>
> I mean, if you read the problem statement, a simple solution could be:
>
> - regular multi team meets - people from the various teams sit in, say
> what's happening, what team A needs from team B, what team C needs from
> team A and B and so on?
> - if necessary, representatives can be appointed in the various teams,
> or we can take turns and so on (this part can be handled by the teams
> themselves)
>
> This still doesn't quite feel like it needs an official new body, with
> elections and so on. Each team has active contributors - ambassadors,
> which is the largest has famsco + regional leads to spread the word and
> co-ordinate them - other teams are much smaller and don't need this
> governance model - the simplest solution seems to be to get them to
> speak to each other and keep up with each others activities - and this
> can be done without major restructuring of
> famsco/fosco/ambassadors/other teams.
>
> Also, in the name FOSCo, the word "Outreach" could possibly be
> misconstrued as increasing contributors/participation and so on (on the
> lines of the gnome outreach programme - ​https://www.gnome.org//opw/).
> Is *this* the function of FOSCo? It would explain why the fosco trac has
> tickets for install fests and so on it. But, this is completely
> different from increasing communication between teams (internal
> community outreach vs external outreach?). Even the e-mail that was sent
> out with the proposal said:
>
> "The idea is to transform FAmSCo into Fedora Outreach Steering
> [...]

I share these concerns.  Initially, I was interpreting the intent of the
Outreach Steering Committee to be collaboration on all user facing
efforts, with representation from any interested groups, SIGs, or
individuals.  This seems like a great idea; I'm concerned that many
community members work diligently in their own space but may not track
efforts in other areas, or give special attention to communicating their
own efforts with the larger community.  Efforts directed towards
improving internal cooperation would make outward-facing efforts more
effective and develop a stronger sense of community.

But, nothing happened here for a while; it was looking like an idea
without a vision. Now, as things start to move forward, the vision of
this group I observe is very different from what I thought we all
shared.  The tickets and list traffic lately reflect a group dedicated
to providing direction and support to ambassadors.  I'm fine with that,
but if that's what is going on, it seems more honest to call it the
Fedora Ambassadors Steering Committee, and encourage that group of folks
to work with marketing and design folks on establishing common goals.  A
voting seat on a leadership committee should not be a prerequisite for
communication between groups.

--
-- Pete