Re: "Standard Fedora 19, should include the Broadcom Drivers of the Box"

On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 12:28 -0700, Andre Gompel wrote:
> Hello:
Hi Andre,

>    Fedora 19 (F19) is very good, congratulations !
>
> Now, I will make a comment:

> It is a good thing, that finally Fedora includes the Atheros 9k in the
> basic kernel, I will explain why later.

> I have a notebook, of the very popular series, HP ProBooks , its a
> ProBook 6475B (AMD Quad Core CPU A10).
> F19 includes the graphic driver for the Radeon GPU, and it is very
> good !

> However F19, does NOT (out of the box) include the driver for the WiFi
> Broadcom chip ( BCM43228 )Fedora 19, should include the Broadcom
> Drivers off the Box"... and it should, because without Wi-Fi (my only
> internet connection), the install as well as updates are almost
> impossible !

<snip>

> Several very popular HP computers, and Lenovo too are using the
> Broadcomm chip so the only way for a semless and easy install, if you
> only have a WiFi connection is to have this driver. Furthermore,
> Broadcomm now have open source drivers( this is recent).

Broadcomm making their drivers open source is not enough. They need to
provide their drivers in the main kernel tree. I'm a broadcomm user
myself and have been helping broadcomm kernel developers debug and
improve their drivers. When the driver for your chipset is available in
the kernel upstream, it will work out of the box.

Thank you for your comment.

Please note that this isn't the correct list for this discussion and I
request you to please post to the correct list in the future (users
mailing list would be the way to go for this post)

--
Thanks again,
Warm regards,

Join Fedora! Come talk to us!