Re: Ad policy

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:48:07 +0100 (CET), "Max Spevack"
<mspevack@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > However, if FWN had a clear ad policy, that might help alleviate such
> > concerns in the future.  I think the FWN editorial staff should talk
> > with their contributors here, and decide on some sort of advertisement
> > policy for the FWN.  I'm not here to dictate that policy to you,
> > because you're the ones who make FWN happen every week.  It's a very
> > important service to the community, and one I and many other community
> > members make use of regularly.  We're very grateful for your efforts,
> > and I think you're the best judges of how to handle this matter.
>
> How about "Only ads from sponsors[1], and then subject to edtiorial
> approval."
>
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/en/sponsors

I don't like the idea of running with sponsor's ads to be honest. I
think it potentially compromises our integrity as a news source. I'm not
dead set against it however, so if everyone else feels I'm being foolish
then speak out. I just don't like the implicit pressure that would come
with that.  It's what has managed to destroy an otherwise free press in
many countries.
--
  Oisin Feeley
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OisinFeeley