EPEL report week 35 2007

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/Reports/Week35
(sorry, a bit late this time; was busy on sunday, afk Monday after work
and didn't get it completely finished yesterday evening)

= Weekly EPEL Summary =

Week 35/2007

== Most important happenings ==

 * we will do alternate meeting times now; 23:00 one week, 17:00 UTC the
other; next meeting at 20070905 at 23:00 UTC

 * FESCo
[https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-August/msg02213.html
extended the mandate] for the EPEL Steering Committee

 * the plan is to push new packages (not updates ones) more often to
stable in the future; likely every four weeks for now -- no exact
timeframe can be given yet, as we need to see how complicate it is (the
process needs to be prepared manually by someone in a local test-repo
first, to check if all deps are still satisfied before packages can
actually be moved)

== EPEL SIG Meeting ==

=== Attending ===

>From the Steering Committee:

 * dgilmore (DennisGilmore)
 * knurd (ThorstenLeemhuis)
 * mmcgrath (MikeMcGrath)
 * Jeff_S (Jeff Sheltren)
 * nirik (KevinFenzi)
 * stahnma (MichaelStahnke)

Missing from the Steering Committee:

 * quaid (KarstenWade)

=== Summary ===

 * easier pushing from testing to stable

  * nirik can push for EPEL as well (in addition to dgilmore, knurd and
mmcgrath)

  * mschwendt did some improvements to the scripts (many thx mschwendt
for your work!); they should make it easy to move something from testing
to stable ; the final patch to the scripts-in-production was not applied
yet ; knurd talked to dgilmore about it (he knows the scripts way better
than I do) and wants to take a look (on his todo list after fixing
plague );  if he doesn't find the time knurd will take the risk over the
next few days as do it himself

  * we need to be careful that a update doesn't depend on something else
in testing.

 *  new meeting schedule/scheme

  * alternate meetings are the new black; find the details in
https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-September/msg00005.html
and http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/Meetings

 * MetaData for all Packages available to contributors. -- stahnma

  * I've been trying to get a better definition of the problem ; I
understand the issue, but use-cases etc would be nice ; we need a clear
stance on EPEL not stepping on RHN provided material and a way to
hopefully enforce it

  * might be a good start to at least have a package list of RHEL4 and
RHEL5 online somewhere

 * mandate for the Steering Committee

  * nirik will ask FESCo (which happened in between)

 * push quicker to stable

  * see section "most important happenings"

 *  Free discussion around EPEL

  * Quotes: "I want a pony" and "the weather sucks "

  * stahnma> "I am trying to get some more #rhel and #rhn people
involved here in EPEL "; are there any other channels/mailing lists
where we should ask interested people to join us in the meetings?

  * stahnma> "can anyone write for RH magazine? "  stahnma will evaluate
and would happily write it; but maybe mether or someone else is
preparing one already?

  * nirik is working on clamav; comments on his post appreciated; "and
solving the problems with the packaging and compatibility with
dag/rpmforge would be good"; on the other hand it's good if stuff is
similar in Fedora and EPEL

=== Full Log ===

https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-September/msg00006.html

== Stats ==

=== General ===

Number of EPEL Contributors: unknown -- looks like we'll have it next
again next week!

=== EPEL 5 ===

Number of source packages: 628

Number of binary packages:  1196

There are 29 new Packages:

 * amtterm | Serial-over-lan (sol) client for Intel AMT
 * dfu-programmer | A Device Firmware Update based USB programmer for
Atmel chips
 * dstat | Versatile resource statistics tool
 * erlang | General-purpose programming language and runtime environment
 * iftop | Command line tool that displays bandwidth usage on an interface
 * jhead | Tool for displaying EXIF data embedded in JPEG images
 * perl-CGI-Simple | Simple totally OO CGI interface that is CGI.pm
compliant
 * perl-CGI-Untaint | Process CGI input parameters
 * perl-Class-Trigger | Mixin to add / call inheritable triggers
 * perl-Class-Whitehole | Base class to treat unhandled method calls as
errors
 * perl-Date-Simple | Simple date object for perl
 * perl-Exporter-Lite | Lightweight exporting of variables
 * perl-OLE-Storage_Lite | Simple Class for OLE document interface
 * perl-Spreadsheet-WriteExcel | Write formatted text and numbers to a
cross-platform Excel binary file
 * perl-SQL-Abstract | Generate SQL from Perl data structures
 * perl-Tie-DBI | Tie hashes to DBI relational databases
 * perl-UNIVERSAL-exports | Lightweight, universal exporting of variables
 * perl-UNIVERSAL-moniker | Real world naming for classes
 * pexpect | Pure Python Expect-like module
 * php-extras | Additional PHP modules from the standard PHP distribution
 * php-pecl-memcache | Extension to work with the Memcached caching daemon
 * python-boto | A simple lightweight interface to Amazon Web Services
 * rootsh | Shell wrapper for auditing
 * shapelib | API in "C" for Shapefile handling
 * xbase | XBase compatible database library and tools
 * xbiso | ISO extraction utility for xdvdfs images
 * xbsql | A SQL wrapper for xbase
 * xclip | Command line clipboard grabber
 * yum-cron | Files needed to run yum updates as a cron job

=== EPEL 4 ===

Number of source packages: 413

Number of binary packages:  827

There are 30 new Packages:

 * createrepo | Creates a common metadata repository
 * gmrun | Lightweight "Run program" dialog box with search history and
tab completion
 * iftop | Command line tool that displays bandwidth usage on an interface
 * pdns | A modern, advanced and high performance authoritative-only
nameserver
 * perl-CGI-Simple | Simple totally OO CGI interface that is CGI.pm
compliant
 * perl-CGI-Untaint | Process CGI input parameters
 * perl-Class-Trigger | Mixin to add / call inheritable triggers
 * perl-Class-Whitehole | Base class to treat unhandled method calls as
errors
 * perl-Date-Simple | Simple date object for perl
 * perl-Exporter-Lite | Lightweight exporting of variables
 * perl-OLE-Storage_Lite | Simple Class for OLE document interface
 * perl-Spreadsheet-WriteExcel | Write formatted text and numbers to a
cross-platform Excel binary file
 * perl-SQL-Abstract | Generate SQL from Perl data structures
 * perl-String-CRC32 | Perl interface for cyclic redundancy check
generation
 * perl-Tie-DBI | Tie hashes to DBI relational databases
 * perl-UNIVERSAL-exports | Lightweight, universal exporting of variables
 * perl-UNIVERSAL-moniker | Real world naming for classes
 * pexpect | Pure Python Expect-like module
 * php-idn | PHP API for GNU LibIDN
 * python-boto | A simple lightweight interface to Amazon Web Services
 * python-elementtree | Fast XML parser and writer
 * python-urlgrabber | A high-level cross-protocol url-grabber
 * rootsh | Shell wrapper for auditing
 * shapelib | API in "C" for Shapefile handling
 * tidy | Utility to clean up and pretty print HTML/XHTML/XML
 * xbase | XBase compatible database library and tools
 * xbiso | ISO extraction utility for xdvdfs images
 * xbsql | A SQL wrapper for xbase
 * xclip | Command line clipboard grabber
 * yum | RPM installer/updater

----
["CategoryEPELReports"]