Re: keeping spare-time-contributors happy (was: Re: bodhi: Adding "new package")

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 04:47:08PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > The actual problem can be summarized in one simple sentence:
> > > Where/how to find "my built, but yet not released packages in bodhi"?
> >
> > $ koji list-tagged --latest dist-fc7-updates-candidate | grep $USERNAME
>
> bodhi?
>
> The actual usability problem is bodhi<->koji interaction.

Yes, I'm well aware.

So, how would you like to see this implemented?  The problem here is that
generating this package list is a fairly expensive operation.  To do
this, we either have to get a list of all builds in a tag, then filter
by owner, or get all builds by a person and filter by tag.

So, my initial thought is to enhance the current auto-completion field
to fetch dist-$RELEASE-updates-candidate builds when someone types their
package name.  Ok, but how do we determine $RELEASE?  Right now when
you go to /new and submit an update, we query koji based on the tag
associated with the Release dropdown.  As mentioned before[0], this is
annoying and unnecessary.  So, in order to be able to remove this, we
could then possibly just show all available builds for a supplied
package tagged with dist-*-updates-candidate?  (I'm not sure how easy
this would be to get this information from koji without multiple
listTagged calls).

Or we could expand the "new update" menu on the side bar to have an option
for each release?
ie:
    New Update
    |- F7 (/new/F7)
This way we would know what tag to query for right when the update form
is loaded.

I believe you also mentioned the possibly creating some sort of browser
to show all available builds that have yet to be pushed.  I like this
idea as well, but how would we keep this list in sync with koji?
(without hammering it with expensive requests everytime the new update
form is loaded).

The data exists, the problem we currently face is determining the most
efficient way to get our hands on it at runtime.

luke

[0]: https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/bodhi/ticket/84