Re: GPL and LGPL not acceptable for Fedora!

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
As an alternative, we could have some boilerplate that specifically
explains the situation  to the upstream author when we encounter a bare
"GPL" in the source code:

I emailed an upstream with a similar message yesterday when I encountered a COPYING file but no copyright/licensing-related comments in the source. They responded immediately agreeing that they should add copyright information, and even going so far as to ask my opinion on whether they should use a specific version of the GPL or not. (Wow, what a cooperative upstream.) FWIW, this was Coraid, upstream for aoetools and vblade.

I'm definitely a proponent of contacting upstream for clarification. Hopefully all of them will be so friendly, especially since clearing this up now could save them problems down the road.

     Jima