Re: GPL and LGPL not acceptable for Fedora!

Eric Sandeen wrote:
Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

NOTE: Don't trust COPYING. Look at the source code itself.

So, I own xfsprogs.

source code itself only says things like:

 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
 * published by the Free Software Foundation.

but then the included COPYING file says:

The library named "libhandle" and some specific header files (including
<xfs/xfs.h>) are licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License.

All other components are licensed under the GNU General Public License.

... and then COPYING includes the text of LGPL2.1 and GPL2, specifically.

I'll ask sgi for clarification but in the months while their lawyers go
read the GPLv3, does it look like it would be appropriate to assume
GPLv2 and LGPLv2 for now, based on the included COPYING file?

(oh - and can my package be both GPLv2 and LGPLv2, or do I need to tease
this apart into 2 packages now...)

The version of the COPYING[.lib] file is not relevant if the sourcecoe doesn't contain a version its GPL+ resp. LGPLv2+

About GPL and LGPL. If libhandle is distributed as a seperate file under /usr/lib, then the license tag would be:

License: GPL+ and LGPLv2+

If libhandle is statically linked into the binaries and not distributed seperately in /usr/lib, then the GPL trums the LGPL and the license tag becomes:

License: GPLv2+

(The v2 comes from the LGPL code incorperated into the binaries)

If you distribute the lib under /usr/lib, you may want todo a -libs subpackage for that and use "License: GPL+" for the main package and "License: LGPLv2+" for the -libss and -devel sub-packages. The idea behind this tags is that interpackage licensing issues can be checked by a script, using:
License: GPL+ and LGPLv2+
Is not going to help this script, resulting in people still needing to check things manually.

Regards,

Hans (Who has 2 packages of his 150 left todo and then the License tagging operation is completed for me).