Re: Fedora Core 5 Retirement

Dave Jones said the following on 07/02/2007 09:32 PM Pacific Time:
On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 01:41:47PM -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
> As of Monday, July 2nd 2007, Fedora Core 5 has gone into retirement. No > further updates will be issued for FC5 or FE5 as we refocus our > developer attention to development of F8 and maintenance of our most > recent stable Fedora 7. > > The Fedora Project now runs on a N+2 + 1 month support schedule. This > means the supported lifetime of FC5 was scheduled to end one month after > the release of F7. FC5 was supported from March 20th 2006 through July > 2nd 2007, or a good ~15.5 months. > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/8/Schedule > By the current Fedora 8 development schedule, the supported lifetime of > FC6 is to continue to a minimum of early December 2007.

In the past, what happens to the still-open bugs against an EOL'd
release has been decided by the individual package owner.
I've seen..

* Move all bugs to currently open release
* Move all bugs to rawhide
* Close bugs WONTFIX
* "please upgrade" msg, NEEDINFO, wait a while, ->WONTFIX
* Nothing, bugs left open, users left unaware that no fix is coming.

all used as potential strategies for dealing with this, but it
would be good to have a unified message.  It would also probably
be much faster for bugzilla admins to run some SQL query than
each developer doing this by hand (last time I did it for the
kernel, it took several hours for the 'change multiple bugs'
thing to finish, with firefox actually timing out a few times).

	Dave

I would very strongly vote in favor of: "WONTFIX; please reopen this bug against F7 if it still exists there."

From one of the QA meetings a month or so back I took the action item to create a proposal for how to deal with bugzillas like this.  I'll try to have something proposed on the wiki by the start of next week.

John