Re: Caution! Bad SONAME Provides

Adam Jackson wrote:
On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 10:32 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
"MS" == Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael@xxxxxxx> writes:
MS> Broken dependencies are one thing, broken "Provides" another. The
MS> distribution includes an increasing number of packages, which
MS> don't filter their SONAME Provides when they include shared
MS> libraries in private paths.

I recall past discussions about whether these were problematic but I
never recall seeing any mandate that they be filtered.

Frankly, these are so incredibly common that I really think it's
completely counterproductive to require packagers to go out of their
way to fix broken dependency generation.  Why not fix the dependency
generator instead?

All it needs to do to fix up most of the issues is not look outside
the standard library paths.

... and any rpaths specified in any binaries in that package.  Oh, and
any rpaths specified in _any_ binary in _any_ other package.

I don't think we /really/ care about the "rpath's in other packages" case. If the other packages need firefox's copy of zlib, they should require firefox (or at least the library directory it's dropping in?)

--
  Peter