Re: Plan for tomorrow's (20070604) Release Engineering meeting

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 11:18:30AM -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 17:01 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > To develop a freezing strategy for releases? No.  The plan is for FESCo
> > > to discuss whether any changes to the build toolchain warrants a mass
> > > rebuild.  My guess is this would be sometime around T1 time probably.
> >
> > The freezing strategy is releng's job. So releng would have to wait
> > until test1 to know whether there will be a mass-rebuild to really
> > discuss freezing? Also when scheduling F8 one needs to be aware
> > whether there will be any mass-rebuilds to make sure the freezing test
> > release has enough time before GA
>
> And it's not possible for the rel-eng to plan for scenarios where we may
> or may not have mass rebuilds beforehand?

Sure, people on rel-eng are smart enough. If this decision _really
needs_ to be postponed they don't have another choice. But I don't
think that looking at test1 would improve discussion grounds. It won't
look better than F7 looked in comparison to FC6 and slowly more and
more people are recognizing that the lack of a final mass-rebuild was
more pain than gain.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net