Re: 5/16/2007 Broken upgrade paths in F7

On 17/05/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 17 May 2007 07:55:18 Josh Boyer wrote:
> Ah. I'll try and bug DaveJ about it as we get closer and send (or have
> him send) something out once it's know.

This is yet another reason why external kmods are such crap piles.  Often
times the kernel is the very last package to build, and when we "know" that
it is good, is when we actually do the spins.  We don't always have time to
wait for N kernel mods to rebuild against it and get tagged.  When the kmods
were in a separate repo this was less of an issue, but now that everything is
in the same repo it is far far more important of an issue and one that will
hound us quite often, like with every kernel update.

/me resists the urge to ask why Fedora doesn't move to using dkms for
kernel modules. Yes, I know, Fedora is primarily a binary
distribution. The packaging of kernel modules that Mathias has been
doing for freshrpms with dkms is living testament to the ease of that
approach though. Oh dear, I didn't resist the urge.