Re: Deep Freeze coming for Fedora 7 (and cvs branching coming too)

On Wed, 16 May 2007, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

On 5/15/07, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
BTW why can't the update message be the last changelog entry by default?
I'd rather require people to write meaningful changelogs than forcing
them to pipe the info in a different system.

+1, i think this is a sane way to minimize perceived burden while
still getting useful information into update notification mechanisms.
Hell, unless there is some pretty stellar guidance for notification
texts that convinces us otherwise, I expect the general practice will
be to cut and paste of the changelog text...because its the easiest
way to satisfy a notification text requirement.  We already sort of
have a mechanism to help us cut and pass changlogs for cvs commit
messages.

If we make the last changelog entry the default update message, which
can be overwritten by a more expansive message on a case by case
basis, that would suit me just fine.

Sounds like a plan to me. Encouraging good changelog entries is, well, good anyway - look at the quality of FC changelogs before and after the daily rawhide-changes mails. In some cases (eg if the update requires user actions etc) further commentary not really suitable to changelog notation style might be needed but rpm changelog since last published package (or even just the latest entry) would make a nice default. And one that shouldn't be too troublesome for anybody since the message has already been written once...

-jef"just need to figure out how to make update notification texts
look pretty in the output of a yum cmdline call"spaleta

The changelog entries are easy, everybody likes rpm --changelog style output, no? :) OTOH for that there already is yum-changelog plugin, update notifications are a little different.

	- Panu -