Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
I just want consistency. We ship about 40 pacakges afaics and we should
apply the same rules to all out packages. I fail to understand why
python is so special. It's IMHO not just about "python for zope": people
might have apps from other sources compiled against python-2.4 installed
on their system -- shipping a compat-python24 for one release gives them
time to get those apps running after a update to F7 so they can migrate
their software to python 2.5 over the next half year until we ship F8.

My thoughts exactly. I don't understand why python is so special. If there's community interest in a compat package of an old version of anything (gcc 3.2 for example. it mysteriously disappeared in FC-6 even though the SRPM is in the repo), just let people work on the compat packages. There's too much emphasis on "teaching upstream a lesson", and literally NO emphasis on the interest to end-users. It sounds like some of you are afraid that the word will spread about fedora shipping the old python 2.4 and zope upstream maintainers will suddenly stop all porting efforts. That's absurd.