Re: [Minimizing Fedora] Langpacks for Firefox.

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On 4/27/07, Christopher Aillon <caillon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Once more, this is not a problem with translations but with the way
firefox loads .xpi files.

Putting aside the issue of on-disk space for a moment.... and just
focusing on the "potential" issue raised concerning runtime impact of
parsing all these languages addons.  In your estimation, would it be
worthwhile to enhance firefox with a way to simply disable all
languages other than the current locale?

I've been pondering doing some thing where the extensions are in a different directory and get copied to $appdir/extensions on startup on first use.

It's not clear to me there is
a measurable runtime difference between having them all disabled or
enabled at startup.  I've disabled all of them manually in the
addon-ons interface but I'm not sure its really impacting the startup
time at all. Does disabling them in the addon interface prevent the
xpi files from being parsed?

No, it still needs to parse it, find it's uuid, and then figure out whether it's been disabled by comparing to the user's profile.