Re: [Minimizing Fedora] Langpacks for Firefox.

Martin Sourada wrote:
Hans de Goede napsal(a):
Matthias Clasen wrote:
On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 08:14 +0400, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
On my system right now, /usr/share/locale takes up 373MB, dwarfing
whatever Firefox uses.  Splitting out Firefox's langpacks won't solve
your problem.
Does that the reason not to splitting Firefox? I think it's only the
evidence that someone doesn't know something about macros in rpm
configs. )

Take a look at %_install_langs macro - we can control installing
langpacks using it but not in case of firefox.

So, this is just a request to add proper %lang annotations to the
firefox file lists ?

Yes and no, Peter's original request really was for seperate (sub)
packages. But Peter's problem can be solved too (and probably better) by
adding proper
%lang annotations to the firefox file lists. This all AFAIK.

Regards,

Hans

I'd like to add my 2$ as well to this issue.. so.. We have usual OSS
applications that handle locales via *.po/*.mo files. These can (and must) be
handled in spec file. I don't have any problems with this. But firefox is
different. Far different. First, it ships langpacks separately from main
programme, in *.xpi files.

That's an implementation detail, really. This discussion should be format-independent. Should I replace the 12 MB of .zip (yes that's all .xpi are) files with 20MB+ of uncompressed .po files? Will that cause people to stop complaining?

Second, Firefox's langpacks are extensions not proper
locale AFAIK.

AFAIK, this is not a proper argument.  Please explain.