Re: [GuidelinesChange] UTF8 filenames

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 22:51 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 17:07 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > I like the simplicity of "Every filename must be encoded as UTF-8."  But
> > if we just leave it at that some people in "ASCII speaking countries"
> > are sure to ask, "So how do I convert ASCII to UTF-8?"  Maybe something
> > like:
>
> Well, UTF-8 is a full superset of ASCII; so simply stating that "Every
> filename must be encoded as UTF-8" would mean that any ASCII-only
> filenames are inherently acceptable. We could add a clarification, of
> course, such as something to the effect of: "Please note that UTF-8 is a
> superset of ASCII, thus ASCII-only filenames are also acceptable."

Except that Nicolas's arguments about people in ISO-8859-1 speaking
countries assuming ASCII includes accented Roman characters would apply
to that note as well.  Really, I don't think there's any way to clarify
this without defining what ASCII is.  In a few (and by few, I mean five
to ten :-) years everyone will know what UTF-8 is and we won't have to
worry about people who think that ASCII has to be converted into UTF-8.

-Toshio