UTF-8 and filenames

Hi all,

I'm thinking of writing a draft guideline for the packaging committee to
mandate all filenames be in utf-8.  Theoretically, I think this is the
right thing to do as :

1) UTF8 is the native encoding of our filesystems
2) UTF8 is what the distro as a whole has migrated to
3) There's no encoding information stored with the filename so having
filenames in arbitrary encodings is a recipe for disaster.

Since I am not an expert in i18n issues I'm posting for some feedback
here first.  What do people think?  Is this the right thing to do?  Are
there some prominent examples of where this is wrong?

-Toshio