Re: emacs and /etc/alternatives

On Thursday 08 March 2007 12:36pm, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 02:30:42PM -0500, Chip Coldwell wrote:
> > So should I infer that Fedora has an ambivalent attitude toward the
> > /etc/alternatives mechanism?
>
> I can't speak for everyone, but in general, yes -- it's a necessary evil
> for complex compatibile systems like postfix/sendmail/exim, but shouldn't
> be used as a general hammer when there's no good reason.

I'm not speaking for everyone, either..

I would agree that, in general, we wouldn't want to use alternatives as a "big
hammer."  alternatives is great when you have competing implementations that
are trying to provide the same files.  MTA & Java are obvious uses.

In this case, we have "competing" builds of the same app.  Using a script to
decide which one to run is one possible solution, which adds one extra
process every time you want to start the program.  A symlink is another
solution, which is what alternatives does.

If we have to have two "competing" emacs packages (and I'm not sure that we
even need the nox package), then alternatives can DTRT with a symlink for
them, using the priority to pick the right one if both are installed.

Another option is make them conflict.  I hate this idea and I think most
packagers would agree.  Packages that conflict with each other are no fun for
end users (or admins) to deal with.  It's better to not conflict (which is
why alternatives even exists, right?).

As I asked earlier, why not just simple have the emacs package not depend on
the X and GNOME libs?  *If* the X/GNOME packages are installed (the libs are
present) then list emacs use them if it sees fit (i.e., find $DISPLAY
useable).  That way, there's only one package to maintain, no need for
symlinks, wrapper scripts, alternatives or conflicts, the program "Just
Works" the way it should and the X/GNOME libs don't have to be installed just
to have emacs.

Not that I really care about emacs; I don't like or use it.  Vim forever,
baby.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.