Re: Fedora User Management (revisited)

Josh Boyer wrote:
How so?  Without an explanation I'll never learn.

It's going to continue to be a trend for EPEL.  Fedora will have new
shiny things it wants to use, but EPEL will not be able to support them
given it's lifecycle and stability goals.  Trying to constantly
"converge" the packages/policies for the sake of commonality is going to
be an ongoing battle.

So, EPEL has their own branches.  Why can't there be a differing
solution between Fedora and EPEL?
There can be different solutions though its not optimum and should be avoided when possible.

The fact is fedora user management is proprietary. No one else uses it, and there's a reason for that. It's not shiny, it's not new, it's a hacked together script that the community is very split on. It only solves a few rare use cases and it's causing real problems. I'm not going to beat around the bush about it, if it can't be done transparently it shouldn't be done. EPEL or not, there's many out there that don't want it which is why I suggested a vote.

   -Mike