Re: Co-maintainersip policy for Fedora Packages

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Wednesday 24 January 2007 14:08, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
All packages in Fedora Extras shall normally be maintained by a group of
maintainers. Each package normally should have at least three
maintainers in total. There is one primary maintainer and a primary
maintainer per distribution release (both often will be identical); he
should have at least one co-maintainer per release.

This feels like we're dictating how people should manage their packages. Why should EVERY package have more than one maintainer? There are some pretty simple packages out there, does it really need 3? Do we really want to tell everybody that we don't trust just them, we need to trust 3 of them? Why is this necessary?

+1, JK words the major part of my issues with this proposal well: "dictating how people should manage their packages" I don't like to be dictated, I don't like it at all!

Also I find it funny that you (THL) first say:
"Well, my proposal is not that much more complicated:"
And then need a couple of very dense and hard to read paragraphs like the one quoted by JK above to explain your policy.

Maintainers should hand over packages to co-maintainers when they have lots of packages to improve the quality,
share the load and get people involved.

again, dictating. You're saying that just because you own more than a few packages, you're automatically lowering the quality of those packages, or you automatically can't handle the load. This is a bad and very unfriendly assumption to make.

+1 (But I made that clear already)

Regards,

Hans