Re: icon cache scriplet guideline update

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Rex Dieter (rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
But this doesn't 'solve' anything, or 'simiplify' anything - it just
moves a touch into the shell script, and renames the command, and makes
things slower.
I'd bet the performance difference is not even measurable, so I don't think it's worth arguing that.

time to do touch && gtk-update-icon-cache, with cache warm, average,
five runs: .166

time to do xdg-icon-resource..., with cache warm, average, five runs:
.270

62% slower.

My typical results using both (on a not-so-hot laptop):

# time /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache --force /usr/share/icons/hicolor
Cache file created successfully.

real    0m0.637s
user    0m0.492s
sys     0m0.145s

# time /usr/bin/xdg-icon-resource forceupdate --theme hicolor
real    0m0.657s
user    0m0.491s
sys     0m0.166s

Not nearly as big a difference as your findings.

-- Rex