Re: Please add autoconf and automake to the buildroot

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 18:02 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> If you think that autoconf and automake should require an extra level of
> error checking, you might also consider writing a test for rpmlint that
> checks patches for changes to Makefile.am, configure.ac, etc, and if it
> finds some, makes sure that the spec file calls autoconf, automake, or
> autoreconf.  This can benefit people who are not using our particular
> buildsystem as well.

I think this would lead to false positives. If I find I have to patch
autotools input files, I also try to make the corresponding patch in the
output files. Sometimes this is a trivial edit and other times it
involves re-running the autotools and creating a patch from the original
files to the newly-generated ones. Either way, there is no need to run
the autotools when the package is built on the buildsystem. I believe
this to be good practice and thus a naive rpmlint check for edits to
autotools input files wouldn't be that good a test.

Paul.