Re: devel packages with only one .pc file

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 12:43 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 13:02 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 17:42 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > A typical example is gtk-sharp2-devel. It contains only four pc files.
> > > There are no headers or anything, because for mono you don't need
> > > anything but the dll.
> > >
> > > Another example is in mono. Here the "mono-nunit" subpackage contains a
> > > similar pkg-config file. This case is even weirder, because nunit (being
> > > a framework for developing unit tests) is clearly already a development
> > > application, and you wouldn't really install it if you weren't already
> > > doing development.
> >
> > Perhaps in the case of mono, where the main package has no difference
> > between the runtime and the development files (one in the same) then
> > the .pc file can stay in the main package.  I'm OK with that.
Should this proposal enter the Packaging Committee, I'll vote against
it.

> > > In many cases these pc files have not pc file dependencies, and in
> > > others they only have dependencies on pc files where the pc file also
> > > didn't have to be in a -devel subpackage, so this isn't always a
> > > problem.
> >
> > But it is something to take into consideration.  If the .pc has listed
> > requires that would in turn pull in other -devel packages, then it
> > should be split itself into a -devel package and the requires listed as
> > such.  This prevents a normal userland install from being polluted by
> > -devel packages just for the runtime components.
>
> Sure. And in the majority of cases we really should have the .pc file in
> a devel package. Its just that in some cases there really is no need for
> it,
There is one: Installing the run-time environment will pull in devel
files.

>  and its not without negative consequenses.
The more I think about it, I feel you are simply facing a "singular
case" (devel collapses into one file), which probably originates from
"underdeveloped/underequipped code".

Just add some devel-docs and/or some further package deps and I'd expect
you to experience your *devel package will consist of more files and/or
installing it will pull in a larger infrastructure.

Ralf