Re: Perl modules (license: distributable)

Matthias Saou wrote:
Garrick Staples wrote :

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 04:18:54PM -0400, Matthew Miller alleged:
On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:39:31AM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
JPO> The Mail::Sender module has the following license: "This program
JPO> is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
JPO> the same terms as Perl itself. There is only one aditional
JPO> condition, you may NOT use this module for SPAMing! NEVER! (see
JPO> http://spam.abuse.net/ for definition)"
Nice and contradictory; perl is GPL (and Artistic, of course) and the
GPL prevents adding restrictions.  The module shouldn't have been
included.
Nothing prevents you from licensing your code as "GPL + additional
restrictions". You just can't add additional restrictions to code that was
licensed _to you_ under the GPL. And of course, any such additional
restrictions make the result not GPL-compatible.
Not that I disagree with you, but that limit on usage, even for
spamming, still violates the FSF free software definition.

"The freedom to run the program, for any purpose"

"any kind of person or organization to use it on any kind of computer
system, for any kind of overall job"

Yeah, problematic situation. The worst part is : Do you really think
spammers would even care?

No, they wouldn't. I've personally received spam with an X-Mailer suggesting that Mail::Sender was used.

Paul.