Re: Isn't it time for the encrypted file system???

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

David Zeuthen wrote:

I think Jeremy's point about using block level encryption on real disks
for anything but removable / hotplugable devices makes sense. I also
don't think we want to encrypt the entire home directory, that would
suck for e.g. compiles of software

Do most people do compiling? Or heavy-duty I/O for that matter? I think that if we would right click and just say "disable encryption on this directory" that would be enough.

That might be fine for a home user but in a corporate environment the user does not necessarily get to say something should not be encrypted "because it's inconvenient and slows down my builds". If it were up to the users, I'm pretty sure *nobody* here (where I work) would bother encrypting their systems at all simpy because it's so much more convient not to.

	- Panu -