Re: Use of whitelist/blacklist in articles

YES!!!!  This conversation certainly has run its course.  It has been
analyzed and discussed ad nauseam by everyone who has an opinion on it.
We've expressed our opinions en masse and it is time to either do or not
do.

I don't know how such decisions are made... and I really don't care.  We
can take a poll, flip a coin or our Benevolent Dictor/Fearless Leader
can simply make an Official Proclamation.

I, for one, if I ever have time to contribute, will not even bother to
read any style guide.  Those are for editors.  If I ever write something
that contains the word "blacklist", then I suppose it will get changed
to a more platable word.  If something I wrote gets modified in such a
way that I don't approve, then I won't write anything else for the
magazine.  It's actually quite simple; I don't support Orwellian
NewSpeak... which is really what this is.

Having the Internet is a wonderful thing!  One can write anything one
wishes and publish effortlessly.  You don't even need an old platen
press to print your books or California job cases full of expensive
letterpress type in what used to be the dining room.  You just key in
the text and post it to your instant audience.

This is pretty much the dream of the Founding Fathers realized at last.
You young folks of this generation have absolute freedom of expression.
Use it as best you can.  Don't hamstring yourselves with endless
regulation because someone MIGHT take offense.  Someone might take
offense if I marry Lucy Liu... but if I ever decide to ask and she
answers yes, I'll be damned if anyone will change my mind.

Now, as I type this, there are angry people on the streets of my
country, there is a pandemic I and several others saw coming years ago
ravaging the world, and there are shadowy figures (excuse me, I have to
adjust my tin-foil hat) pulling the strings attached to the Stallinian
useful idiots who are pulling down statues, burning buildings, and
generally engaging in violent rebellion that nobody knows the outcome
of.

Good luck to you folks with the Brave New World you are constructing.  I
shall not likely live to see the end of it... and of that I am glad.

Dale

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 10:03:54AM -0400, s40w5s@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was reluctant to continue this conversation since it has run it's
> course I think. However, there are a couple of points I think need to
> be clarified in the conversation. First, let's talk about what was
> proposed, by who, and it's purpose. What is being proposed is a guide
> for Editorial Board members of the Fedora Magazine to include a section
> on bias in words used in articles and specifically how to edit such
> articles. This was proposed by a senior member of the Editorial Board
> who is no stranger in the community. The purpose is for the Editorial
> Board to be more proactive in promoting inclusive non-biased
> conversations within the Fedora Community, by keeping articles non-
> biased.
> Second I want to point out the English language is an ever evolving
> language. Eventually, the use of allow/deny lists will likely be the
> norm, but not because Fedora Magazine Editorial Board members decided
> to make a guide, but because people will adopt them through daily use,
> much like "blacklist/whitelist" are the norm today.
>
> Our community is open, our minds should be too.
>
> Stephen
>
> On Tue, 2020-06-23 at 16:32 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > Several comments on yesterday's fail2ban article[1], as well as some
> > internal Red Hat mailing list traffic, raised concern with the use of
> > the word "blacklist". While the etymology of the term is not racist,
> > there are reasonable arguments to be made that it can contribute to
> > unconscious bias. Its meaning is also less obvious than alternatives
> > like "block list".
> >
> > So there are two questions here:
> >
> > 1. Should we discourage the use of whitelist and blacklist in Fedora
> > Magazine in favor of alternatives like "allow list" and "block
> > list"/"deny list"?
> >
> > 2. Should we start developing a style guide that addresses this and
> > other issues (e.g. the style of projects like "NetworkManager" (not
> > "Network Manager") and other things both malign and benign (like
> > using
> > the words "simple" or "just") that a style guide normally covers)?
> >
> > I am in favor of both of the above.
> >
> > For anyone who is interested, I learned today that the latest update
> > to the codespell package (currently in testing[2]) can flag some of
> > these issues:
> >     codespell --builtin clear,rare,usage <filename>
> >
> > [1]
> > https://fedoramagazine.org/protect-your-system-with-fail2ban-and-firewalld-blacklists/
> > [2] https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-12bd755a7c
> >
> > --
> > Ben Cotton
> > He / Him / His
> > Senior Program Manager, Fedora & CentOS Stream
> > Red Hat
> > TZ=America/Indiana/Indianapolis

Dale A. Raby

Buy my books: The Wives of Jacob, Book One, In the Beginning..., The
Post-Apocalyptic Blacksmith, 777 Bon Mots for Gunslingers and Other Real Men.
Available from most online book sellers.