Re: Pitch: How to pass kernel options with BLS

I found the following comment at the end of
https://systemd.io/BOOT_LOADER_SPECIFICATION#out-of-focus:

- This specification leaves undefined what to do about systems which are
upgraded from an OS that does not implement this specification. As the previous
boot loader logic was largely handled by in distribution-specific ways we
probably should leave the upgrade path (and whether there actually is one) to
the distributions. The simplest solution might be to simply continue with the
old scheme for old installations and use this new scheme only for new
installations.

This applied to me because I had by "/boot" stored on "/" instead of a separate
partition. I was easily able to re-partition my system to get it working with
the new BLS, but I wonder how many others are out there who have done likewise
(deleted "/boot" as a separate partition during installation) or who (still)
have /boot formatted with ext?

I have an idea to write up a post showing how to upgrade your workstation to use
software raid (mdadm). Such an article would necessarily require re-partitioning
and re-installing the bootloader on the added hard drive. It can be done in such
a way as to be compliant with this new BLS (the major "trick" being to pass -
--medadata=1.0 to mdadm when configuring it to mirror the new fat32-formatted
/boot partition).

What do you think of a "How to Mirror your System Drive with Software RAID"
article that includes instructions that will covert the existing system to this
new BLS as a side effect?

On Wed, 2019-02-13 at 07:49 -0500, Paul Frields wrote:
> This seems like important information for us to get out there in
advance of
> F30, and a good idea for the Magazine. Is there a plan to
get official docs for
> Fedora updated as well?

Paul