Re: Draft for Backing up series, part 1: duplicity

On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 21:39 +0000, Justin W. Flory wrote:
> On 07/03/2017 11:09 PM, Link Dupont wrote:
> > Perfect feedback. I'll give that a pass. Do you think there's too
> > much
> > time spent on setting up AWS? I was thinking about a slight
> > restructuring of the article to focus more on duplicity, and leave
> > most
> > of the AWS stuff up to the user. Basically writing the article
> > assuming
> > that the user has their AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID and AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY
> > already and just telling them to plug them in.
> >

> Hey Link,
>
> This came up during the meeting today. We remembered that you wanted
> wait until all three articles in the series were complete before you
> published them. However, in the release upgrade article…
>
>     https://fedoramagazine.org/?p=17971&preview=1&_ppp=0dcd79e67b
>
> …we briefly mention about taking backups, and point to a PkgDB link
> for
> deja-dup. What do you think about publishing the first one on Monday,
> and then cross-linking this in the upgrade instruction article? This
> might help give the series a long shelf-life since the upgrade
> article
> gets a lot of traffic for a couple months after an upgrade (so
> ideally,
> people might discover the whole backup series by looking up
> instructions
> on how to upgrade).
>
> However, we wanted to check with you if you want to do this first. We
> could always go back later and edit the link to your series once all
> the
> drafts are up. What do you think?

Echoing what I said in #fedora-magazine. It looks like part 3 (deja-
dup) *won't* build (technically) on top of part 1 (duplicity) like I
originally thought. Part 2 (duply) can definitely build on top of part
1 though. So I'd like to have part 1 and 2 finalized before publishing
so that the full backup created in part 1 is detected by duply in part
2.

Both articles do exist in draft form. I'm currently editing the
commands in part 2 to make sure the output is correct, and the duply
profile detects the full backup created with duplicity. Both articles
are mostly complete. Once I've given them another pass over to make
sure the commands are correct, they'll still need an editorial review.
If someone can possibly edit them over the weekend, then we could
probably publish part 1 on Monday.

They both articles also will need feature images. I had hoped to try
one on my own, but maybe Ryan should crank out one for Part 1 so it's
ready for publishing on Monday.

~link