[Fedora-legal-list] Re: Review and Guidance needed - licenses transforming based on time

I forgot to mention that the center of my question was about the
second stage of the license - once it reaches the condition to
transform to a free license, whether it is absolutely fine to add the
software to Fedora under that specific free license, or whether there
is any specific point of view the Fedora Legal team holds, or other
specific requirements how to list the license correctly.

On the other hand, Fedora package maintainers shouldn't try to guess
the resulting license(s) that applies to the user, they should only
list the licenses of the contents of the binary rpm.
In this case, assuming that the license already transformed to the
free one might be the guessing package maintainer shouldn't do.

And as Daniel showed,

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 1:45 PM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> BUSL-1.1 is already listed as 'not-allowed' in Fedora:
>
>   https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/not-allowed-licenses/
>   https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data/-/blob/main/data/BUSL-1.1.toml
>
> For the time window that the code is under BUSL-1.1, it is non-free.
>
> When the timeout in BUSL-1.1 triggers, the BUSL-1.1 ceases to apply
> to the code. The code becomes covered by GPL-2.0. IIUC, after that
> point in time, it would be allowed in Fedora but being listed as
> GPL-2.0-or-later in the spec, rather than BUSL-1.1.

the software clearly can't be added to Fedora before the
transformation, yet it's still unclear to me if, and how, it would be
possible after the transformation.

Michal

--

Michal Schorm