[Fedora-legal-list] Re: Update on Fedora treatment of Nmap licensing

On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 10:30 AM Richard Fontana <rfontana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 10:05 AM David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Looking at Fedora now we have nmap-7.95 in Fedora 40 as an update and it has:
> >
> >     License: LicenseRef-NPSL-0.94
>
> Yes. This is erroneous because `LicenseRef-NPSL-0.94` inaccurately
> referred to the license we are now calling `LicenseRef-NPSL-0.92`
> (Callaway/Cotton "NPSL") but the license of Nmap changed several more
> times in the progression to 7.95.
>
> > The exception is only for LicenseRef-Nmap and not these NPSL variants, right?  Which means nmap will have to be removed?
>
> Yes,

Actually the Nmap maintainer/licensor has informally offered to let
Fedora continue to use `LicenseRef-Nmap` for 7.95 (if I understood
what they were saying correctly) so that is a possibility. But clearly
not a long-term solution.

Richard