Re: AI/ML Model and Pre-Trained Weight Packaging in Fedora

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 10:25 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At this point, this discussion is a bit much.
>
> We have game engines with data file downloaders for demo content, we
> have web browsers that auto-download things on launch, and so on.
>
> If you're really worried about it, tweak pytorch to require
> configuration or make a prompt when it triggers the first time or something.
>
> We did this with gdb with the debuginfod, and that's probably the
> closest pattern to go with for this.
>
> But this is not a legal question per se, this is a functionality and
> philosophy question.

I mean, why isn't it a legal question in some cases? What if a package
on first launch downloads an unauthorized copy of _Pirates of the
Caribbean_? I might be okay with the answer that "this has never
happened and we can deal with that problem if it ever arises".

It is a philosophical question, I think, whether Fedora would want to
tolerate the possibility of a package circumventing Fedora licensing
policy through post-installation downloads (leaving aside the issue of
user agency in this). That is directly raised by this pretrained
weights issue since at least some of the weights Tim is talking about
wouldn't satisfy Fedora licensing guidelines if packaged directly. I
don't think there's a right or wrong answer here, but I think Fedora
ought to have a consistent position on this.

Richard