Fwd: SPDX Statistics - Public Christmas Tree edition

-------- Přeposlaná zpráva --------
Předmět: SPDX Statistics - Public Christmas Tree edition
Datum: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 08:33:23 +0100
Od: Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Společnost: Red Hat Czech, s.r.o.
Komu: Development discussions related to Fedora <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hot news:

We added new license LicenseRef-Fedora-Firmware that we use for firmware that does not have clear license declarations and only "Redistributable..."-like declarations.
https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data/-/merge_requests/460/diffs

The process of adding the licenses on list is still very slow.

We come to conclusion how to handle LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-* licenses https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-legal-docs/-/merge_requests/265/diffs

We are working on phase 3 and phase 4 proposals. But they are not yet ready.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/SPDX_Licenses_Phase_3
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/SPDX_Licenses_Phase_4

Now lets dive into numbers:

Two weeks ago we had:

* 23479 spec files in Fedora

* 29970 license tags in all spec files

* 11999 tags have not been converted to SPDX yet

* 6587 tags can be trivially converted using `license-fedora2spdx`

This was error, that was: 5412 tags can be trivially converted using `license-fedora2spdx`

* Progress: 59.96% ░░░░░█████ 100%

ELN subset:

327 out of 2444 packages are not converted yet (progress 86.62%)

Today we have:

* 23562 spec files in Fedora

* 30067 license tags in all spec files

* 11907 tags have not been converted to SPDX yet

* 5370 tags can be trivially converted using `license-fedora2spdx`

* Progress: 60,04% ░░░░░░████ 100%

ELN subset:

507 out of 3734 packages are not converted yet (progress 86.42%)

Graph of these data with the burndown chart:

   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QVMEzXWML-6_Mrlln02axFAaRKCQ8zE807rpCjus-8s/edit?usp=sharing

The list of packages needed to be converted is here:

    https://pagure.io/copr/license-validate/blob/main/f/packages-without-spdx-final.txt

List by package maintainers is here

   https://pagure.io/copr/license-validate/blob/main/f/packages-without-spdx-final-maintainers.txt

List of packages from ELN subset that needs to be converted:

   https://pagure.io/copr/license-validate/blob/main/f/eln-not-migrated.txt

New version of fedora-license-data has been released. With 4 new licenses (plus some public domain declarations). 20 licenses are waiting to be review by SPDX.org (and then to be added to fedora-license-data) https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data/-/issues/?label_name%5B%5D=SPDX%3A%3Ablocked

Legal docs and especially

  https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/allowed-licenses/

was updated too. And the table there was simplified.

New projection when we will be finished is 2024-11-14 (+20 days from last report).  Pure linear approximation.

If your package does not have neither git-log entry nor spec-changelog entry mentioning SPDX and you know your license tag matches SPDX formula, you can put your package on ignore list

  https://pagure.io/copr/license-validate/blob/main/f/ignore-packages.txt

Either pull-request or direct email to me is fine.

Why Public Christmas Tree? On today's date at 1919 Czech writer and poet Rudolf Těsnohlídek discovered abandoned girl, aged seventeen months, in danger of freezing. They rescued the girl and give her name Liduška. I was unable to find the published information in English so I translated what Těsnohlídek wrote (translation with the help of DeepL)"

"We found it last year on Christmas Eve under a lone spruce tree in the forests of Bílovy," the writer recalls. "We went looking for a Christmas tree, a tiny little fir. The lights were already on in the village, as everywhere was being busily cleaned up for the holidays. We fell into a valley through which thousands of hikers pass on summer Sundays. No one was passing through today. The only one returning was the gamekeeper, who had lingered behind to procure a crib for the church. We set off, so as not to get quite dark in the woods, to the nearest coppice on the steep hillside. We laboured our way over the frosty ground to the middle of the hillside, where it was flatter and where we could have taken a more vigorous step, but here the cry of the forest arrested the steps of the three of us. It was a few crows, which, cawing a warning to the others, had fallen on the opposite hillside. They swooped down to await death as always. We stood in human, unsparing curiosity, and then the wind blew a faint moan towards us. It was a poignant wail, a defenceless, dying, farewell to the world. So the deer one wails when mortally wounded. We wanted to shorten her agony and headed across the undergrowth to the supposed doe. How many small suitable Christmas trees there were, but we didn't spot a single one. All we could see in front of us at that moment was a sprawling spruce tree. Approaching it, we realized that the groan was the fading cry of a child. We froze in surprise. We imagined her standing there in her flimsy rags, wearing a thin skirt, waiting. Perhaps the mother had placed it here in the lee of the thicket to wait until it had gathered the brushwood, and it was afraid of the dark and the coming night, and therefore it was crying. But when we opened the last branches of the undergrowth, we saw a terror greater than we expected. There lay the little baby, naked, with only a bonnet on its head and its shirt open, on a dirty blanket. The little body was already blue with frost..."

When he saw a public tree in Copenhagen where they're having a fundraiser for poor kids under the decorated tree. Rudolf decided to bring this Scandinavian custom to Czechoslovakia. The first Tree of the Republic, as he called it at the time, was cut down on 6 December 1924 in the Bílovice forest and a week later, on 13 December 1924, it was ceremoniously lit on Brno's Svobody Square. Thanks to the collection that took place under the tree, a children's home was built in Brno in the following years according to a design by Bohuslav Fuchs. It opened in 1929 and was named after Queen Dagmar of Denmark, who was famous for her care of the poor. And the public Christmas tree became a custom since then.

But neither the Czech tree nor Copenhagen tree was a first in public space. That was Christmas tree in New York in 1912. But I think this is a nice story. Merry Christmas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_T%C4%9Bsnohl%C3%ADdek
https://www.nps.gov/whho/learn/historyculture/national-christmas-trees-through-the-years.htm

Miroslav