Fwd: SPDX Statistics - Freeze 'Em All edition

-------- Přeposlaná zpráva --------
Předmět: SPDX Statistics - Freeze 'Em All edition
Datum: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 07:11:09 +0100
Od: Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Společnost: Red Hat Czech, s.r.o.
Komu: Development discussions related to Fedora <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hot news:

We added new license LicenseRef-Not-Copyrightable that should be used for packages like foo-filesystem that e.g., create just directories and does not have copyrightable code nor content.

The process of adding the licenses on list is still very slow recently.

I made an error when added packages to ignore list (those that does not need any change) and my script ignored more packages than it should. It is fixed now. So about two dozen packages show up in list.

Now lets dive into numbers:

Two weeks ago we had:

* 23426 spec files in Fedora

* 29916 license tags in all spec files

* 12081 tags have not been converted to SPDX yet

* 5482 tags can be trivially converted using `license-fedora2spdx`

* Progress: 59.62% ░░░░░█████ 100%

ELN subset:

655 out of 3798 packages are not converted yet (progress 82.75%)

Today we have:

* 23479 spec files in Fedora

* 29970 license tags in all spec files

* 11999 tags have not been converted to SPDX yet

* 6587 tags can be trivially converted using `license-fedora2spdx`

* Progress: 59.96% ░░░░░█████ 100%

ELN subset:

327 out of 2444 packages are not converted yet (progress 86.62%)

Graph of these data with the burndown chart:

   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QVMEzXWML-6_Mrlln02axFAaRKCQ8zE807rpCjus-8s/edit?usp=sharing

The list of packages needed to be converted is here:

    https://pagure.io/copr/license-validate/blob/main/f/packages-without-spdx-final.txt

List by package maintainers is here

   https://pagure.io/copr/license-validate/blob/main/f/packages-without-spdx-final-maintainers.txt

List of packages from ELN subset that needs to be converted:

   https://pagure.io/copr/license-validate/blob/main/f/eln-not-migrated.txt

New version of fedora-license-data has been released. With 4 new licenses (plus some public domain declarations). 17 licenses are waiting to be review by SPDX.org (and then to be added to fedora-license-data) https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data/-/issues/?label_name%5B%5D=SPDX%3A%3Ablocked

Legal docs and especially

  https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/allowed-licenses/

was updated too. And the table there was simplified.

New projection when we will be finished is 2024-10-25 (+21 days from last report).  Pure linear approximation.

If your package does not have neither git-log entry nor spec-changelog entry mentioning SPDX and you know your license tag matches SPDX formula, you can put your package on ignore list

  https://pagure.io/copr/license-validate/blob/main/f/ignore-packages.txt

Either pull-request or direct email to me is fine.

Why Freeze 'Em All edition? On today's date at 2013 Metallica played a concert named Freeze 'Em All on Antartica station Base Carlini and become the first band that performed live concert on all seven continents.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze_%27Em_All

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hi2u98VKxc

Miroslav