Re: Effective license analysis: required or not?

Hello,

Wrt to Go, new packages and updated packages that are statically linked have correct license info. I have made a script to generate them in Pagure Go-sig tools.

We probably need to do a pass on the whole set of binary packages but this is taken into account.

Best regards,

Robert-André

On Mon, 30 Oct 2023, 12:02 Fabio Valentini, <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 10:56 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The act of copying content from one RPM build dependancy package into
> the RPM output is a more general problem that Doxygen, with static
> linking being the poster-child for it.  This static linking happens
> continually with some languages like Rust/Go/Ocaml, and AFAICT the
> license tags implications have been essentially ignored.

This is just not true, especially for Rust. We do our best to
accurately reflect statically linked dependencies, and we have helper
scripts / macros to determine *which* dependencies are actually linked
into the final binaries, and which are only needed at build-time. And
I also do similar things for the one Go package I maintain.

Fabio